Thursday, November 17, 2005

Why Wine?

I’ve been told that I have the nose of a bloodhound and could replace drug-sniffing dogs at the airport. As fun as that sounds, I’d rather put my nose to better use. Like experiencing the varying scents of wine, for example. Luckily, my taste buds are also hypersensitive, which makes wine tasting a pure pleasure (or disappointment).

So, my blog is to share my love of wine. No, I’m not a sommelier or a wine maker, just an everyday wine lover—a consumer, just like you. Whether it’s a rich, bold and spicy Zinfandel or a buttery Chardonnay, I want to experience it all.

Apparently, anyone with a passion for something can eventually become an expert… so I’m drinking my way to expertise. In a healthy drink-in-moderation sort of way, of course.

They key is variety, not just with types of wine, but also with regions. A Viognier from France will taste infinitely different from a Viognier from Australia. Grapes pick up the characteristics of where they are grown – each region imparts distinct tastes. Climate and soil also help add to the unique flavours.

So much goes into a great wine. By learning a bit more, we can appreciate what we're drinking.

Cheers!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home